Almond Rhubarb Cake Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 10):
– 150 gram salted butter, at room temperature
– 150 gram golden caster sugar
– 2 eggs
– 200 gram almond flour (or ground almond)
– finely grated zest of 1 orange
– 50 gram buckwheat flour
– 40 gram corn starch
– 1 tsp psyllium husk
– ¼ tsp salt
– 1 ½ tsp baking powder
– 400 gram rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 4cm lengths
– 2 tbsp flaked almonds
– 1 tbsp raw cane sugar
– Preheat the oven 350°F/180°C. Grease a 22-cm springform tin and line the base and sides with parchment paper.
– Cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric whisk until pale and fluffy. Whisk in the eggs one at a time until creamy, beating well between each addition. Add the almond flour and orange zest, sift over the buckwheat flour, corn starch, psyllium husk and baking powder and mix well.
– Spoon half the mixture into the tin, carefully spreading it right to the edges. Arrange just under half the rhubarb on top, keeping it away from the edges of the tin.
– Spoon over the rest of the cake mixture and spread it to cover the rhubarb. Arrange the rest of the rhubarb on top, in a circle, filling in any gaps and keeping it away from the edges. Scatter over the flaked almonds and sprinkle with raw cane sugar.
– Bake for 1 hour or until golden, cover with a tent of foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes until firm to the touch in the middle. Leave in the tin to cool for about 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Let it cool completely.
– Cut the almond rhubarb cake into 10 – 12 parts. Serve!