Apple Stack Cake Recipe
– 3 pounds tart apples (such as Granny Smith), peeled and cut into – 1/2-inch wedges
– 3 pounds crisp apples (such as Braeburn or Honeycrisp), peeled and chopped
– 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
– 1/2 lemon, sliced
– Vegetable cooking spray
– 6 (8-inch) round disposable aluminum foil cake pans
– Parchment paper
– 1 cup butter, softened
– 2 cups sugar
– 5 large eggs, separated
– 1 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice
– 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
– 1 cup buttermilk
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
– 1 cup apple butter
– Apple Cider Glaze
– Prepare Filling: Bring first 4 ingredients to a light boil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring often, 25 to 30 minutes or until apples are tender and juices thicken. Discard lemon slices. Cool completely (about 2 hours). Cover and chill until ready to use.
– Prepare Cake: Lightly grease disposable cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms of pans with parchment paper, and lightly grease parchment paper.
– Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
– Stir together apple pie spice and 2 3/4 cups flour in a medium bowl; stir together buttermilk and baking soda in a small bowl. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
– Stir together pecans and remaining 1/4 cup flour. Fold pecan mixture and apple butter into batter.
– Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Stir about one-third of egg whites into batter; fold in remaining egg whites.
– Divide cake batter among prepared pans, spreading with an offset spatula.
– Bake at 350° for 7 minutes; rotate pans from top rack to bottom rack. Bake 7 to 9 more minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
– Remove cake layers from oven, and brush each with 2 to 3 Tbsp. warm Apple Cider Glaze. (Reserve remaining glaze.) Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks; discard parchment paper. Cool completely (about 30 minutes).
– Assemble Cake: Place 1 layer, glaze-side up, on serving platter. Top with 1 1/2 cups filling. Repeat with remaining layers and filling. Top last layer with any remaining filling, and drizzle cake with desired amount of reserved Apple Cider Glaze.