Beetroot Coconut Chocolate Cake Recipe
Ingredients: (Serves 10-12)
– 5 beetroot, trimmed, about 500 gram total weight
– 200 gram spelt flour
– 200 gram golden caster sugar
– 100 gram plain chocolate (85% chocolate solids), broken into small pieces
– 3 eggs
– 200 gram solid coconut oil
– 10 gram butter, for greasing
– 6 tbsp cocoa powder
– 2 tsp baking powder
For chocolate icing:
– 75 gram plain chocolate
– 75 gram unsalted butter
– 3 tbsp golden caster sugar
– 3 tbsp milk
For beetroot icing:
– 2- 2½ tbsp water
– 115 gram icing sugar, sifted
– 1 tsp beetroot powder
– Peel the beetroot, slice into 1-cm/½-inch chunks and steam for 30 minutes until tender. Alternatively, microwave on high for 10 minutes. Purée beetroot for 2-3 minutes in a food processor, frequently scraping down the side of the bowl. Set aside until needed.
– Preheat the oven to 325°F/160°C. Grease a 23-cm/9-inch round springform cake tin and line it with baking paper.
– Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder twice into a bowl. Mix in the sugar.
– Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water and heat until melted
– Put the beetroot purée in the bowl of a food processor. With the machine running, add the eggs one at a time, then add the oil. Stir the beetroot mixture into the dry ingredients, then add the melted chocolate.
– Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cover with foil if the top starts to brown too quickly. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
– To make the chocolate icing, put the ingredients into a small saucepan and melt over a medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Spoon the icing over the cake, allowing it to trickle down the sides.
– To make the beetroot icing, gradually stir enough of the water into the icing sugar to make a soft paste. Stir in the beetroot powder. Decant into an icing syringe fitted with a small plain nozzle and pine thin zigzags across the cake.