Cake Batter Macarons Recipe
For Macaron shells
– 60 g almond meal
– 120g confectioner’s sugar
– 20 g granulated sugar
– 60 g egg whites (about 2 eggs)
– 3 tablspoons sprinkles
– 1 teaspoon teal powdered food color (optional)
For Cake Batter Icing
– 1 cups powdered sugar, sifted
– ¼ cup yellow cake mix
– 2-4 tablespoons heavy cream
– 3 tablespoons butter room temperature
– ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
– ¼ teaspoon salt
– 1-2 drops pink food coloring
– Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
– Process almond meal and powdered sugar in a food processor; sift and discard any large chunks. If you are using powdered food coloring, whisk it in now. Set aside.
– Place egg whites and sugar in a stand mixer bowl, fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat on medium low speed until egg whites start to form loose translucent bubbles. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat until meringue turns foamy and white and starts to resemble well lathered shampoo, about 2 minutes. Increase mixer to high and beat until meringue holds glossy stiff peaks, about another 2-3 minutes. *If you are using liquid food coloring, add it in now and beat until just combined. Turn off mixer.
– Add dry ingredients to meringue. Using a sturdy spatula fold and smash dry mixture into meringue against side of bowl for about 20-25 folds. Don’t worry about being gentle the idea is to knock the air out of it. The batter should hold its shape when spooned on itself and start to slowly flatten out after about 15-20 seconds. Start checking the batter after 20 folds for readiness. Transfer batter to pastry bag and let rest for 20 minutes before piping.
– Pipe 1½ inch circles onto parchment lined baking sheet. Take hold of pan and give it a quick hard tap against the counter, turn the pan 90 degrees and give it another quick hard tap. This will deflate any bubbles and will help to prevent cracked shells.
– Bake macarons at 300 degrees F, until macarons easily lift away from paper, about 20 minutes.
– To make filling: Add all ingredients into a stand mixer bowl fitted with a whisk attachment. Mix on low speed until all ingredients are combined, then gradually increase mixer speed from medium to high and beat for 30-60 seconds on hight until icing is thick and fluffy. Add more powdered sugar to thicken consistency as needed or heavy cream to loosen consistency as needed.
– Pipe filling on one shell. Place second shell on top.