Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Using vegetables in cakes and desserts is a truly wonderful idea. Carrots, pumpkins or beetroots can contribute to create many beautiful and tasty treats. Vegetables add more colors and improve texture. They also provide essential nutrients. A collection of healthy recipes, which is easy to cook for breakfast, lunch and dinner, helps build a daily balanced menu. Vegetable cakes have a great flavor, of course! For instance, grated carrot incorporated into a cake can taste so delicious.
Carrot Cake Recipe
– 100 gram self-raising flour
– 10 gram butter, for greasing
– 125 gram carrot, grated
– 125 gram soft light brown sugar
– 25 gram chopped toasted mixed nut
– 1 tsp ground mixed spice
– 24 walnuts halves, to decorate
– 40 gram butter, softened
– 175 gram icing sugar, sifted
– 1 tsp fresh orange juice
– grated rind of 1/2 orange
– Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.Grease an 18-cm/7-inch square cake tin and line with baking paper.
– Sift the flour, salt, mixed spice and nutmeg into a bowl. Stir in the brown sugar, then stir in the eggs and oil. Add the carrots, banana and mixed nuts. Mix well to combine.
– Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until golden and just firm to the touch. Leave to cool slightly. When the cake is cool enough to handle, turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
– To make the frosting, put the butter, cream cheese, icing sugar, orange juice and rind in a bowl and beat together until creamy. Spread the icing over the top of the cold cake, then use a fork a to make shallow, wavy lines in it. Cut into squares, decorate each with walnut halves and serve.