Carrot Fruit Cardamom Buns Recipe
– 375 gram strong white flour, sifted
– 125 gram unsalted butter
– 150 gram chopped glacé fruit
– 10 gram flour, for dusting
– 10 gram icing sugar, for sprinkling
– 2 tbsp easy-blend dried yeast
– 3 tbsp golden caster sugar
– 2 tsp ground cardamom seeds (from about 24 pods)
– Put the carrots in the top of a steamer and steam for 15 minutes until tender, then purée in a blender until smooth. Set aside until needed.
– Put the carrots in the top of a steamer and steam for 15 minutes until tender, then purée in a blender until smooth. Set aside until needed. tall but 2 tablespoons of the butter and leave to cool slightly. Mix the beaten egg with the lukewarm milk and the melted butter. Stir into the flour mixture, then add the carrot purée. Mix to a soft dough.
– Turn out the dough onto a floured board and knead for 10 -15 minutes until silky. Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave to stand in a warm place for 1 ½ – 2 hours, or until doubled in size. Turn out onto a floured board and knock back to get rid of the air. Roll out very thinly to a 44 x 33 cm/ 17 ½ x 12-inch rectangle.
– Melt the remaining butter and brush it over the surface of the dough. Scatter over the glacé fruit, taking it right to the edge of the dough and breaking up any clumps.
– Roll up the dough from the long edge into a log. Slice into 2.5 cm/1 -inch rounds and place on the prepared baking tray. Cover with clingfirm and leave to stand for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
– Mix the egg yolk with the cold milk and brush over the buns, then bake on the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes until golden.
– Transfer to a wire rack to cool, then sprinkle with the icing sugar. The buns are best eaten freshly baked.