Cauliflower Apricot Swirl Cheesecake Bars
– 250 gram dried apricots
– 500 gram low-fat soft curd cheese
– 200 gram golden caster sugar
– 150 gram small cauliflower florets (without stalks), very finely chopped
– Juice of 1 large orange
– 300 gram wholemeal flour
– 150 gram unsalted butter
– 50 gram jumbo rolled oats
– Finely grated rind of 1 large orange
– Lightly oil a 30 x 24 -cm/ 12 x 9½ – inch roasting tin and line with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
– To make the base, mix the flour and oats together. Put the orange rind, honey and butter into a saucepan over a medium heat and heat until melted. Stir into the dry ingredients.
– Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and firmly press flat, Make sure the corners and edges are firm. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes until crisp.
– Meanwhile, put the apricots in a small saucepan with the orange juice and enough water to cover by about 2-cm/3/4 inch. Bring to the boil, them simmer gently over a medium heat for 7 minutes, or until soft. Tip into a blender or food processor. Purée until smooth, then push through a sieve into a bowl and set aside until needed.
– Remove the base from the oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F/160°C.
– Put the cheese, yogurt, sugar and vanilla extract into a bowl and beat with a hand-held electric mixer until creamy. Beat in the eggs and flour, then gently stir in the chopped cauliflower.
– Mix half the apricot purée with the cauliflower mixture and pour over the base. Swirl the remaining purée attractively over the top, taking care not to over-mix.
– Bake for 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted in the centre and comes out clean. Leave to cool completely in the tin, then chill in the fridge for 2 – 6 hours before removing from the tin. Slice into 16 bars.