Cauliflower Crust Stromboli Recipe
– 1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets (should yield 3 cups of cauliflower rice)
– 1 free-range organic egg, lightly beaten
– ½ cup / 1.7 oz / 50 gr shredded mozzarella cheese
– ½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
– ½ teaspoon dried oregano
– ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
– 3 tablespoons tomato sauce (such as marinara)
– ½ cup mozzarella cheese (I used cheddar)
– Ham, pepperoni, salami or any other meat of your choice (skip this if you’re vegetarian)
– Grated Parmesan cheese and dried oregano to taste
– Preheat oven to 450°F (220°C) and place a rack in the middle. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and liberally grease it with olive oil. Set aside.
– In a food processor rice the cauliflower florets (it should be evenly chopped but not completely pulverized). Transfer cauliflower rice (3 cups) to a microwave-safe dish and microwave on high for 8 minutes, until cooked.
– Place the cauliflower rice in a tea towel and twist it to squeeze as much moisture as you can (I usually squeeze out over a cup of liquid). This is very important. The cauliflower rice needs to be dry, otherwise you’ll end up with mushy dough, impossible to roll into a stromboli.
– Transfer the cauliflower rice to a mixing bowl, add egg, mozzarella, oregano, salt and pepper and mix well.
Spread cauliflower mixture onto the lined baking sheet and form into a large rectangle.
– Place in the oven and bake for exactly 10 minutes (no more, no less, 10 minutes).
– Remove from the oven and spread tomato sauce over most of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border on one side. Spread half of the mozzarella, then the meat (or ham), then the remaining cheese. With a large spatula lift the longer sides of the crust and roll into stromboli shape (you may also use the parchment paper to help you do this!)
– Flip them seam down and tuck/fold the shorter side to close the stromboli. Cut slats in the top, and sprinkle with some grated Parmesan cheese and oregano.
– Return to the oven and bake for an additional 12 minutes.
– Wait a few minutes before you slice and serve.
– And beware of all that raging ooey gooey cheese. Right out of the oven it’s thermonuclear hot. So, watch yourself.
– Serve with extra sauce if you feel so inclined.