Cheese Chilli Potato Empanadas Recipe
Ingredients: (Makes 12)
– 425 gram plain flour
– 175 gram chilled unsalted butter, diced
– 1 egg
– 50 ml water
– 3/4 tsp salt
– 225 gram fleshy green chillies
– 150 gram Mozzarella cheese, shredded
– 115 gram feta cheese, crumbled
– 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
– 1 potato (about 175 gram), cooked and diced
– 1 egg yolk
– 1 tbsp milk
– 1 tsp dried oregano
– 1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
– 1/4 tsp pepper
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 225 ml soured cream
– Juice of 1/2 lime
– 2-3 tbsp chillies in Adobo sauce
– 6 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
– To make the dough, mix the flour and salt in a food processor. Add the butter, egg and water and pulse briefly until clumps form. Do not overwork the dough. Shape into a flattened ball and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
– To make the filling, put the chillies on a baking sheet under a very hot grill. Grill for 8-10 minutes, turning once, until the skin is black. Cover with a tea towel and leave for 10 minutes. Peel off the skin, remove the stem and seeds and roughly chop the flesh. Preheat the oven to 425°F/220°C. Line a baking sheet with a silicone sheet.
– Put the chillies, mozzarella cheese, feta cheese, onion, oregeno, cumin, salt and pepper in a bowl and lightly mix with a fork.
– Put the prepared baking sheet into the oven. Divide the dough into 12 pieces and shape into balls. Flatten slightly, then roll out each ball to a 15-cm/6-inch round, neatening the edges with a cookie cutter.
– Place 2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture and a few pieces of potato in one half of each round. Moisten the edges with water, fold over and seal. Crimp the edges with a fork. Mix the egg yolk and milk in a small bowl. Brush over the empanadas. Place on the preheated baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
– Meanwhile, mix the sauce ingredients together in a serving bowl. Serve the empanadas warm with the sauce.