Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Scones Recipe
– 1 teaspoon milk or water
For the cinnamon sugar topping:
– 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
– 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
– ¾ cup mini-chocolate chips
– 1 tablespoon baking powder
– 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
– 1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter, VERY cold, cut into tiny pieces
– 3 tablespoons almond milk (or any milk of your choice)
– To prepare the egg wash, beat together the egg and water in a small bowl. Set aside until needed.
– To make the cinnamon sugar topping, combine the cinnamon and granulated sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
– Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
– In a large bowl combine the flour, mini-chocolate chips, salt, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice; mix well; set aside.
– Cut the butter into small cubes (or use a cheese grater to shred it) then quickly work it into the flour mixture until it resembles a coarse meal.
– In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the egg, pumpkin puree, and milk; pour into the flour and butter mixture and using a fork, gently stir everything together until just moistened.
– Pour the shaggy dough out onto a clean, well floured work surface. – Using your hands, shape the dough into an 8-inch circle. Cut the dough into 8 wedges and carefully transfer them to the prepared sheet.
– Lightly brush each scones with the egg wash, then sprinkle each one generously with cinnamon sugar.
– Bake scones for 18-20 minutes, or until the tops are lightly golden brown. Cool scones for 10 minutes on the tray.