Chocolate Mousse Cake (Vegan and No Bake Recipe)
Ingredients : (Serves 6 -8)
– ½ cup (100 g) pitted dates
– ¼ cup (25 g) shredded coconut
– ½ -1 tbsp espresso or strong coffee
– ½ cup (85 g) cashew nuts, soaked in water overnight then drained*
– ⅓ cup coconut milk (full fat)
– 2 – 3 tbsp maple syrup (to taste)
– 3 tbsp espresso or strong coffee
– 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
– Chopped pistachios (or any nuts of your choice)
– Shredded coconut (optional)
– Soak the dates in warm water for 15 minutes then drain. Put almonds in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the dates, coconut, cocoa powder, salt and pulse until a paste forms. Add espresso as needed and pulse until paste is smooth.
– Press mixture into a 6 or 7 inch spring-form pan with the bottom covered with plastic wrap (if you don’t have a spring-form pan, use a pie tin or a regular cake pan covered with parchment paper). Put the cake pan in the freezer while you prepare the filling.
– Put coconut oil, coconut milk, cocoa powder, maple syrup, peanut butter and coffee in a sauce pan and heat very gently until mixture is quite loose and all ingredients have melted (this step is to make the filling a bit looser – or it will be too thick to mix smooth in the food processor/blender).
– Pour the ingredients from the sauce pan plus the cashews and the banana into a blender or food processor and mix until mixture is as smooth as possible. Pour the filling into the crust, cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 2-4 hours or until filling is set.
– After the mixture was set, stored the cake in the fridge instead and it held up fine!
– To make chocolate sauce, mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Powder some extra cocoa powder on top of the cake.
– Drizzle sauce over cake and top with chopped pistachios and shredded coconut if desired.