Chocolatey Truffle Cake Recipe
Ingredients: (Serves 8)
– 200 g Dr. Oetker Fine Cooks’ 72% Extra Dark Chocolate
– 100 g Dark Muscovado Sugar
– 5 ml Vanilla Extract (1 tsp)
– 2 ½ g Baking Powder (½ tsp)
– 60 g Apricot Jam (or 4 tbsp)
– Dr. Oetker Chocolatey Strands
– 50 g Extra Dark Chocolate
– Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. Line the inside and base of a 20cm (8 inch) round cake tin with a double layer of grease-proof paper.
– Break the Extra Dark Chocolate into a heat-proof bowl and add the butter. Melt chocolate and butter together over a pan of barely simmering water, and set aside to cool.
– Whisk the egg yolks and dark sugar together until pale, thick and creamy. Whisk in cooled chocolate mixture along with 45ml (3 tbsp) rum and the Vanilla Extract.
– In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold into the chocolate mixture along with the ground almonds and baking powder.
– Spoon into the prepared tin and level the top. Place a roasting tin half filled with boiling water in the bottom of the oven and bake the cake on a low shelf above the water for 40 – 45 minutes until just firm, and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out just clean. Allow to cool in the tin. Note: the depth of the finished cake will be about 4cm (1 ½ inches)
– Slice the cake in half, mix the jam with the remaining rum and spread over one half of the cake. Sandwich together with the other half.
– Melt the Dark Chocolate as above and cool for 10 minutes. Pour the cream into the melted chocolate and whisk lightly until it becomes thick and glossy.
– Spread about half the chocolate cream round the edge of the cake.
– Reserving 15ml (1 tbsp) Chocolate Flavour Strands, place the strands on a plate, and carefully roll the edge of the cake to coat it completely. Spread the top with the remaining chocolate cream and sprinkle with the remaining Chocolate Flavour Strands.