Courgette Loaf Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
– 175 gram ground almonds
– 40 gram chopped mixed nuts
– 200 gram courgettes, coarsely grated
– 200 gram full-fat cream cheese
– finely grated zest and juice of 1/4 unwaxed lemon
– Preheat the oven to. Line a non-stick loaf tin with a baking paper.
– Put the ground almonds, baking powder, baking soda, stevia and half the nuts into a large bowl and stir well.
– Melt the butter in a small saucepan over a medium-low heat. Pour it onto the dry ingredients. Add the eggs, vanilla extract and courgettes and mix well.
– Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and spread it in an even layer. Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until well risen and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then remove, peel off the baking paper and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
– To make the frosting, put the cream cheese and stevia in a large bowl and whisk until light and airy. Add the lemon zest and juice, and whisk again briefly. Using a spatula. spread the frosting over the top of the cake. Decorate with the remaining nuts. Serve immediately.
Tip: If you intend to use the zest, try to buy unwaxed lemon. If you can’t find any, scrub waxed lemon well before use. Lemons should always be firm and heavy, with a thick, knobbly skin and no green tinges.