Courgette Parmesan Bread Recipe
Ingredients: (Makes 1 loaf)
– 225 gram self-raising white flour
– 225 gram self-raising wholemeal flour
– 55 gram butter, diced
– 10 gram butter, for greasing
– 225 gram courgette, coarsely grated and patted dry
– 140 gram Parmesan cheese, finely grated
– 2 eggs, beaten
– 175 ml semi-skimmed milk
– 10 gram white flour, for dusting
– 1 tsp salt
– ½ tsp pepper
– 1½ tsp mustard powder
– 1 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
– Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C. Grease a baking sheet and set aside. Put the white flour and wholemeal flour into a bowl, stir in the salt, pepper and mustard powder, then lightly rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the courgettes, cheese and thyme. Stir in the eggs and milk and mix to a soft dough.
– Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and lightly knead, then shape into a 20-cm/8-inch round. Place the round on the prepared baking sheet, then cut three fairly deep slashes in the top of the loaf with a sharp knife.
– Bake in the preheated oven for 40 – 50 minutes, or until well risen and deep golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve courgette parmesan bread warm or cold in slices.
Tip: Replace the Parmesan cheese with 115 gram freshly cooked chopped chesnut mushrooms and substitute 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil for the thyme.