Use this simple app to create your own free website
Weebly is a free app that lets you use an Android smartphone or tablet to build your own website. There haven’t been many apps on the Play store that let you create in this way and those that are there have been fiddly and cumbersome.
Thankfully, Weebly takes a lot of the fuss out of things. There are a whole swathe of options that let you customise the look and feel of your site and while the end product is never going to be as good as a site built from scratch, most of us don’t have the time to learn CSS. In this tutorial we’ll show you how to make the bones of a site, explain the clever interface and walk you through how to set your site live. You won’t need any previous website building experience to get the most out of this one and if you’ve got your phone or tablet to hand it shouldn’t take more than half an hour to get your new site online.
- Download the app: Head to the Google Play store and download the app. It won’t cost you anything and it doesn’t take very long to install. When it comes to what device to download it on, we’d suggest one with as big a screen as possible. Open it and you’re ready to start.
- Make an account: Before you get to building you’ll need to start an account. You can either sign in with Facebook, your Google account or create a new account with Weebly. All of them give you the same creation options so pick the one that works best for you and then tap through.
- Accept the permissions: If you chose to use your Facebook or Google account, you will have to give Weebly access to some aspects of your profile. If you’re okay with that then tap to agree. If not, you’d be better creating a stand-alone Weebly profile. It only takes a few seconds to start one.
- Pick a theme: After you have signed in, you can start the fun process of actually making your site. First you’ll need to pick a theme. This will be the core of your website so pick one you like the look of. You can customise pretty much every aspect of the theme to tailor it to your needs.
- If you build it: It will take a minute or so for the app to create the template for your website. If you have any text that you want to appear on the site, now would be a good chance to email it to yourself or open the app you have saved it in on your phone for easy reference.
- The fresh template: The app will give you some hints to how everything works after it has built your template. This is the basic UI and it features everything you need in order to make your site. Give it a headline by double tapping the headline box and then opening the text editor.
- The button text: Bear in mind that different templates have different aspects so some of these might not be applicable to your choice. The button here is a link that you can insert into the header of your site. Change the text in the same way you changed the text of the headline.
- Make a link: You make links using the text editor; you can link to exterior websites or to pages within your own site. To link to exterior sites put the URL into the editor and the app will do the rest for you. To link to a page within your own site, just simply choose the page to link to.
- Make more content: Once you have changed the header, it’s time to work on the body of your page. Tap on the + icon. Here you’ll be shown the elements that you can add to your page: some of them you’ll need to pay to use, but there are enough free items to make a decent site.
- What does it mean? The theme sets a lot of parameters for the content you can add to your site. It defines the font and plenty of other things too. To create some text, drag a title somewhere on your page and change the text. Then just do the same with the text icon too.
- Drag and drop: That’s the basis of the app. Choose what you want to put in from the + menu then place it where you’d like it to go on your page. Drag the image box, for example, and once it’s placed you will be given the option to choose what you would like to display.
- Turn the page: To begin with, you have three different pages on your site – you’ll need to edit each of them. You can add more by tapping the page icon along the top of the screen and changing the names of your pages the same way. They’ll link automatically with a drop-down menu.
- Time to publish: When you’ve finished working on your site, tap the Preview button placed at the top of the screen. This will show you what your site will look like on mobile and on desktop. If you like what you see, tap Publish and your site will go live. You’ll be given the URL too.