Banana Oatmeal Crumble Muffins Recipe
Ingredients (Makes 12 Banana Oatmeal Crumble Muffins)
– 1 ¼ cup rolled oats
– ½ cup sour cream
– ½ cup milk
– 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
– ½ teaspoon cinnamon
– ½ teaspoon nutmeg
– ½ teaspoon salt
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– ½ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
– ⅓ cup vegetable oil
– 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
– 1 large egg, lightly beaten
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the crumbles:
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– ⅔ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
– 1 teaspoon cinnamon
– ½ cup cold butter, cut in small cubes
– Preheat oven to 400°F (200° C)
– In a large bowl, stir oats, sour cream, and milk together until combined. Set aside for 10 minutes.
– In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
– To the oat/sour cream mixture, add brown sugar, vegetable oil, bananas, egg, and vanilla extract. Stir to combine. Add flour mixture. Stir until just moistened. The batter will be very, very thick.
– Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray (or use muffin cups). Evenly distribute batter among cups.
– For the crumbles, mix together the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl (remember the bowl you had your flour in before? use that one again now! unless you love washing dishes). Add the cold butter and cut it into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs. Divide the crumbles, in whatever amount you prefer, over all the muffins. If you use tons of crumbles like I did, be sure to put a cookie sheet on the shelf below your muffin tin, to catch any melty overflow.
– Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until crumbles are golden brown and muffins pass the toothpick test. Remove from oven and cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove them from the pan and place them in a dish to cool. Let cool completely or serve them warm.