Flavorful Biscuits for Breakfast
Garlic Tomato Biscuits
Ingredients (Makes 18–24):
– 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
– 1 tbsp grated parmesan/romano
– 5 tbsp grated cheese (I used a cheddar blend)
– About ½ an 8 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
– Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
– In a big bowl, stir together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt and seasoning.
– In a smaller bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs. Add the tomato paste one tablespoon at a time and whisk it like crazy so that the egg mixture turns pink throughout, not yellow with red clumps.
– Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Pour in the milk mixture and the butter. Stir just until evenly moistened. The batter will be very thick and sticky.
– Drop half the batter by tablespoons onto the cookie sheet. Sprinkle some cheese on each and place a few tomato pieces on top and gently press into the batter. Cover the cheese and tomato with the rest of the batter. Sprinkle some more cheese (and parmesan) over each biscuit.
– Bake until the biscuits are golden, dry and springy to the touch, 18 to 22 minutes. Do not overbake. Serve warm.
Cauliflower Cheddar Biscuits
Ingredients (Makes 20-24)
– 1 head cauliflower, leaves removed and cut into florets
– ½ head broccoli, cut into florets
– ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
– ½ teaspoon onion powder
– ½ teaspoon garlic powder
freshly ground pepper, to taste
– Preheat oven to 400º F (200 º C). Lightly grease 1-2 (mini) muffin tin(s) with butter or non-stick spray.
– Working in batches, place cauliflower and broccoli florets in food processor and pulse until is resembles grains of rice.
– Place grated vegetables in a large, microwave-safe dish, along with 3 tablespoons water, cover with a damp paper towel and microwave for 5 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender.
– Carefully remove steamed cauliflower and transfer to a clean kitchen towel. Wrap up the cauliflower and wring out all excess moisture into the sink. Repeat until all liquid has been drained.
– Transfer cauliflower and broccoli to a large bowl and mix in cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt and eggs, then season with salt, onion and garlic powder, and pepper.
– In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, then gradually fold egg whites into cauliflower mixture. Don’t over mix.
– Spoon batter into muffin tins, then place muffin tins in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.