Honeyed Carrot Pecan Squares
Ingredients: (Makes 15)
– 150 ml virgin olive oil
– 115 gram light muscovado sugar
– 3 eggs
– 175 gram wholemeal plain flour
– 175 gram carrots, coarsely grated
– 55 gram pecan nuts, broken into pieces
– 5 tbsp set honey
– 4 tbsp wheatgerm
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 2 tsp ground ginger
– grated zest of 1 orange
– 1 1/4 tsp ground mixed spice
– 115 gram Greek-style yogurt
– 150 gram cream cheese
– Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Line a small non-stick roasting tin, base measurement 18×28 cm/7 x 11 inches, with baking paper, snipping into the corners diagonally and pressing it into the tin, so that both the base and sides are lined.
– Crack the eggs into a large bowl, add the oil, sugar and 4 tablespoons of the honey and whisk until smooth. Put the flour, wheatgerm and baking powder in a small bowl, then add the ginger, orange zest and 1 teaspoon of the mixed spice and stir. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and whisk again until smooth. Add the carrots and nút and stir.
– Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and spread it in an even layer. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until well risen and a skewer when inserted into the centre comes out clean.
– Turn the cake out of the tin, peel off the baking paper and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
– To make the frosting, put the yougurt, cream cheese and the remaining honey and mixed spice into a bowl and beat together until smooth. Spread the frosting over the cake, then sprinkle with orange zest and pecan nut pieces, if using. Cut it into 15 squares and serve.