Lemon Molten Lava Cake Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 7):
– 1 white chocolate baking bar (4 oz), broken into pieces
– ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, diced into 1 Tbsp pieces
– ⅔ cup (92g) all-purpose flour
– ½ cup (60g) powdered sugar
– ¼ tsp salt
– 4 large eggs
– 4 large egg yolks
– ¾ cup (226g) bottled lemon curd (tested with Dickinson’s)
– 1 ½ Tbsp fresh lemon zest
– ½ tsp vanilla extract
– ½ cup (120ml) heavy cream
– 1 ½ (12g) Tbsp powdered sugar
– Fresh berries (optional)
– Mint leaves (optional)
– Preheat oven to 425°F. Place 7 (6 oz) custard cups on an 18 by 13-inch rimmed baking sheet.
– Place white chocolate and butter in a medium-microwave safe mixing bowl. Heat in microwave in 30 second intervals on 50% power, stirring well between intervals until melted and smooth (the last interval you may only need 15 seconds. Now at this point be sure you have all remaining cake ingredients ready to add because if you add the flour and let it sit very long the mixture will thicken and clump and it just won’t mix together as well). Stir in flour, powdered sugar and salt then add in eggs, egg yolks, lemon curd, lemon zest and vanilla and whisk well to combined.
– Spray custard cups well with non-stick baking spray then pour mixture into cups filling each about ⅔ full (½ cup in each). Bake in preheated oven until edges are golden brown and centers are puffy and just beginning to set, about 14 – 17 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack 10 minutes (meanwhile whip heavy cream. Alternately you can let them cool just a few minutes and serve really warm dusted with powdered sugar and omitting the whipped cream). Run a knife around edge to ensure they are loosened then invert cakes onto individual dessert plates.
For the toppings:
In a medium mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer set on high speed whip heavy cream until soft peaks form. Stir in powdered sugar then whip until stiff peaks form. Transfer mixture to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe whipped cream over cakes, top with berries and garnish with mint leaves.