Microwave Sponge Cake Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 6)
– 175 gram self-raising flour
– 175 gram butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
– 3 eggs
– 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– 150 ml double cream, whipped
– 3 tbsp raspberry jam
– icing sugar, for dusting
– Lightly grease a 20-cm/8-inch round silicone cake tin. Line a wire rack with baking paper. Sift the flour into a bowl and add the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. Beat with a hand-held electric mixer for 1-2 minutes until pale and creamy.
– Spoon the mixture into the prepare tin and level the surface. Place in the microwave oven and cook on high for 5-6 minutes. Check the cake after about 4 minutes and every 30 seconds after that. The cake is ready when it is risen and just springly to the touch. It may still have a thin layer of wet sponge mixture on the top but this should dry out as the cake cools,
– Leave the cake to stand for 10 minutes, then invert onto the prepared rack and leave to cool completely. Cut the sponge in half horizontally and sandwich back together with the cream and raspberry jam. Thickly dust the top with icing sugar and serve immmediately.
Tip: Cakes baked in the microwave dry out quite quickly so they are best eaten on the day of making.