Plum Buttermilk Cake Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 8)
– 6 small ripe Plums, about 2 inches in diameter
– ¼ cup Olive Oil
– 5 tbsp Unsalted Butter, softened
– 1½ cups brown sugar, packed
– 2 Eggs
– 1 cup Buttermilk
– 200g Cake Flour, sifted
– 1 ½ tsp Ground Ginger
– 1 ½ tsp Baking Soda
– ½ tsp Salt
– 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
– 2 tbsp Honey
– Preheat your oven to 325°. Grease a 10-inch round cake pan or 13 x 9 – inch casserole and line the bottom with parchment.
– Wash 5 of your plums and cut them into quarters, discarding the seeds. Save the other to slice thinly for the top of the cake later.
– Cream the butter, oil, and brown sugar for at least 3 minutes on high speed. Scrape down the sides well, and beat for another 3 minutes.
– Add the eggs one at a time, incorporating them completely and scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula before adding the next.
– Whisk together the cake flour, ginger, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
– With the mixer on low, add ⅓ of the flour mixture to the egg mixture, followed by ⅓ of the buttermilk, and scrape down the sides.
– Still on low speed, add ½ of the remaining flour, followed by the buttermilk, and give ‘er a scrape again.
– Turn off the mixer, add the remaining flour and buttermilk, and mix the last bit in by hand.
– Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and evenly drop in the plums.
– Bake for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center, and let cool completely.
– Whip the cream with the honey, spread on top of the cake, and garnish with remaining plum, which should be sliced very thin. Serve.