Pumpkin Pecan Pancakes
Pumpkin Pecan Pancakes with Maple Syrup
Ingredients: (Serves 6)
– 140 gram plain flour
– 20 gram pecan nuts, chopped
– 50 gram soft light brown sugar
– 300 ml semi-skimmed buttermilk
– 200 gram pumpkin, peeled, cooked and mashed (prepared weight)
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 1 egg
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1 spray vegetable oil spray
– 1/2 tsp cinnamon
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 125 ml maple syrup, to serve
Step 1: In a medium bowl, combine the flour, pecan nuts, brown sugar. baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk, mashed pumpkin and vanilla extract. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well.
Step 2: Spray a non-stick frying pan with the vegetable oil spray. Heat over a medium-high heat. When hot, ladle in the batter 50 ml at a time to make 3-4-inche/8-10-cm pancakes.
Step 3: Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until bubbles begin to burst in the top and the base is lightly colored. Flip over and cook for about a further 2 minutes or until the second side turns golden.
Step 4: Pile 3 – 4 pancakes on the plate. Sprinkle them with maple syrup and serve immediately
– You should use wholemeal flour to increase the fibre content.
– You may sprinkle the pancakes with fruity sauce or melted chocolate to substitute for the maple syrup.
– Serve with fresh fruits if desired.