Raspberry Almond Cake
Ingredients: (Serves 8)
– 115 gram self-raising flour
– 115 gram butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
– 115 gram caster sugar
– 40 gram ground almonds
– 175 gram raspberries
– 2 eggs
– 2 tbsp flaked almonds
– 1/4 baking powder
– icing sugar, for dusting
– Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C. Place a baking sheet in the oven to heat up. Grease a 23-cm/9-inch round, shallow cake tin and line the base with baking paper. Sift together the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the eggs, butter and sugar and beat with a hand-held electric mixer for 1-2 minutes until pale and creamy. Fold in the ground almonds.
– Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin. Gently level the surface and scatter over the raspberries and flaked almonds. Bake in the preheated oven for 22-25 minutes, or until risen, golden brown and just firm to the touch.
– Leave the cake in the tin for 1-2 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Serve warm or cold, dusted with icing sugar.
Tip: You can vary the fruit topping – blackberries, stoned cherries or sliced pears will all work just as well.