Red Wine Sorbet Recipe
Ingredients: (Serves 6)
– 1 orange
– 1 lemon
– 600 ml red wine
– 140 gram light brown sugar
– 300 ml water, chilled
– 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
– fresh fruit, to serve
– Peel the zest from the orange and lemon in strips using a potato peeler, being careful not to remove any of the bitter white pith underneath. Place in a saucepan with the red wine and sugar. Heat gently, stirring until the sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the water.
– Squeeze the juice from the fruit. Stir into the wine mixture. Cover and leave until completely cooled then strain into a freezerproof container. Cover and freeze for 7-8 hours, or until firm.
– Working quickly, break the sorbet into chunks and transfer to a food processor. Blend for a few seconds to break down the chunks then, leaving the processor running, gradually pour the egg whites through the feed tube. The mixture will become paler. Continue blending until smooth.
– Freeze for a further 3-4 hours, or until firm. Scoop into six chilled glasses or dishes and serve immediately with the fresh fruit.
Tip: – This sorbet is great with chilled blueberries, raspberries or currants.
– You can make sorbet in advance and store it in the freezer. (Remember to place it in an airtight container). However, you should eat your sorbet within a week for best results. The treat contains fresh fruits should not last for a long time.