Special Gingerbread Cookies Recipe (Sugar-free)
These Special Gingerbread Cookies will be what you really want to look and taste next X-mas.
– 1 large egg, at room temperature
– ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted to room T
– ⅓ cup maple syrup (or raw honey)
– ¼ cup unsulphured molasses
– ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
– 1 tsp dried ginger, ground
– 2 ¼ cups whole wheat flour (Extra for working surface
– 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey, for brushing
– 1/8 cup pecans, finely chopped
– 1/8 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
– 1/8 cup pistachios, finely chopped*
– 1/8 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped
– Preheat the oven to 350˚F/180˚C and line a jelly roll sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
– In a large mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add coconut oil through salt and whisk until well combined. Add flour, mixing first with spatula and then using your hands. Dough should be quite thick. Transfer onto lightly floured surface and if necessary add more flour so you can roll it out.
– Lightly flour the rolling pin and roll the dough to ¼ inch thick. Using various shapes cutouts make cookies and place on prepared baking tray. Bake for 12 minutes, remove from the oven and let cool completely.
– Get toppings ready. Brush each cookie generously with maple syrup, sprinkle with a topping of choice and lay flat to dry completely.
– Storage Instructions: Store in a cool dry place for a few weeks or freeze in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
– To toast quickly, place nuts in a small skillet and toast on low until fragrant, stirring occasionally.