Spicy Squash Cake Recipe
Ingredients: (Serves 8)
– 50 gram sultanas
– 10 gram unsalted butter, for greasing
– 450 gram butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and diced (prepared weight)
– 150 gram unsalted butter
– 150 gram caster sugar
– 50 gram almonds, chopped
– 50 gram Italian mixed peel
– Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
– 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
– 1½ tsp ground ginger
– 85 gram Khorasan flour
– 1 heaped tsp baking powder
– 2 eggs, separated
– 10 gram icing sugar, for dusting
– Put the sultanas into a bowl, pour over boiling water to cover and leave to soak.
– Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Grease and line a 23-cm/9-inch round cake tin.
– Put the squash and butter into a saucepan. Cover and cook over a medium heat for about 15 minutes, until soft. Tip into a bowl and beat until smooth.
– Stir in the sugar, almonds, mixed peel, lemon rind, cinnamon, ginger and sultanas, and mix well to combine.
– Sift together the flour and baking powder, tipping in any bran remaining in the sieve. Gradually beat into the squash mixture.
– Beat the egg yolks for about 3 minutes, until thick. Fold into the squash mixture.
– Whisk the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks. Fold carefully into the mixture using a large metal spoon. Spoon the batter into the prepared tin.
– Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Dust with the icing sugar just before serving
Tip: -Finely peeled curls of lemon or orange rind scattered over the top of the cake would make a pretty decoration.
– Serve spicy squash cake with some whipping cream, if desired.