Growing up, chocolate no bake cookies were one of my favorite treats. I loved the way the chocolate, peanut butter, and oatmeal combined to create a mild dessert with kid-loved flavors. As an adult, I learned that they’re pretty easy to make too, which explains they’re popularity at parties and in Christmas gift boxes from friends. Sometimes variation can be nice, though, especially if it doesn’t require changing the process in a way that makes it more complicated. These Stained Glass Window Cookies make are an easy Christmas Cookie that does just that.
Not including the chilling time, these cookies take ten minutes. That’s pretty fast as far as cookies go, of course, and the steps to make the cookies are simple enough that a child could assist with this holiday recipe. With the chilling time, it also makes a great choice for cookie arrangements because it can chill while you work on other cookie recipes. These would be fantastic for social events and gift boxes alike and would be suitable to prepare year round.
The walnuts, chocolate chips, and shredded coconut make for a flavorful cookie while the marshmallows add sweetness and a softer texture. The chocolate is the base of the cookie and hold the rest of the ingredients together. These cookies have a high visual contrast that would work well to add variety to any holiday cookie arrangement. Between the color, flavor, and ease of baking, these could easily become a holiday favorite.
Yield: 24 cookies
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 (10.5-ounce) package mini marshmallows
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1. In a large saucepan, melt the butter and semisweet chocolate chips over low heat. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the vanilla, salt, and walnuts. Cool for 15 minutes.
2. Add the marshmallows and stir until combined.
3. Spoon half the mixture lengthwise down the center of a piece of waxed paper and roll it into a log. Sprinkle the coconut on and roll the log, evenly coating the outside. Wrap the log in waxed paper. Repeat with the remaining dough.
4. Chill for at least 2 hours.
5. Unwrap and slice into ¼-inch slices and serve.
Stained Glass Window Cookies