Strawberry Chocolate Chip Oat Muffins (Sugar-free Recipe)
Ingredients (Makes 12):
– 1 ¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour
– 1 cup rolled oats
– ¾ teaspoon baking soda
– ½ teaspoon baking powder
– ¼ teaspoon salt
– 1 heaping cup mashed bananas (or 2 to 3 large very ripe bananas)
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 1 tablespoon honey or agave nectar
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– 1 egg + 1 egg white
– ⅓ cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
– ½ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
– ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips
– ⅔ cup diced strawberries
– 12 thin slices of strawberries (about 3-4 strawberries) for topping, if desired
– Preheat oven to 350˚F/180˚C. Spray 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray or line the insides of the muffin tins with paper liners and spray with cooking spray so the muffins do not stick to the liners.
– In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the oat-flour mixture and toss with your diced strawberries. Set aside for later.
– In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed banana, olive oil, honey and vanilla. Add in egg and the egg white and beat until combined. Next add in greek yogurt and almond milk and and beat on low until smooth in consistency, about 1 minute. Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and combine until moist — It’s important to not over mix! Next gently fold in the diced strawberries and chocolate chips into the batter with a wooden spoon to evenly distribute.
– Spoon the batter evenly into muffin cups. Place a thin strawberry slice on each muffin if desired.
– Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a tester inserted into middle of the muffin comes out clean. The length of time will vary based on your oven. Once a tester inserted into the muffin comes out clean, cool for 10 minutes in muffin tins on wire rack, then remove from pan gently and cool completely on wire rack.
– Muffins are perfect served a bit warm and spread with nut butter.
Tip: The muffins can be frozen. Once completely cool, simply individually wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer. To reheat simply heat in microwave. Muffins should be stored in refrigerator or frozen after two days.