Zesty Chipotle Black Bean Cakes
– 1- 1.5 cup panko bread crumbs
– 2 garlic cloves, peeled
– 3 green onions, chopped
– 1/2 red pepper, chopped
– 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed & drained
– 2 tbsp chipotle sauce (or 1 chipotle pepper in Adobo sauce)
– Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Line a baking sheet with foil covered in cooking spray.
– In large bowl, add 1 cup of panko bread crumbs. Set aside.
– In your blender or food processor, add cilantro, garlic, green onions and red pepper. Blend until finely chopped. Add black beans, chipotle sauce and juice from 1/2 of the lime. Blend until beans are coarsely chopped. (There still will be some chunks and that’s ok. You don’t need a complete paste.)
– Add bean mixture to panko. Add egg and mix with your hands. Add additional panko if needed. You don’t want too much liquid. Scoop about 1/4 cup of bean mixture to make cakes. Place on baking sheet. Spray the top of cakes with cooking spray. Cook for 10 minutes, flip the cakes and cook for another 10 minutes.
– Top cakes with guacamole and tomatoes. Cut the rest of the lime into wedges. Use as garnish or drizzles over cakes. Serve warm.